Monday, September 30, 2013

An advantageous schedule adjustment

Started today with another motorcycle driver hire to go and see the spider web shaped rice fields nearby to Ruteng. The fields were pretty interesting to see, but I never got the same story twice about them. I know that they were formed that way because the culture divided property from the center in the shape of their houses and the sun and whatever else. But how they divided it up amongst the families? That is the mystery. One person told me it has to do with the status of the family. Higher status, more of the pie shape and a bigger section of the spider web. Another person told me it was connected to what each family sacrificed. The bigger sacrifice, the bigger pie slice. A third person told me that the alpha make of the family would stand in the middle of the web and he would get add much land as he could fit between his spread out index and middle fingers. They would just extrapolate to the end of the field in straight lines from his finger tips. Oh well, kinda cool fields to look at.

After that it was back into a bus...I think my last long distance (as in more than 90ish minutes) bus ride of the trip! Which is good for many reasons, one of which is that I'm tired of being next to people throwing up. Every bus trip I have been on where there are locals on the bus, there has been at least one person (usually two) violently carsick. The first few buses with only tourists...nothing. Since then...puke parties. Makes for an interesting ride.

So I'm in Labuan Bajo today...And for the next 3 nights. It was supposed to be two nights, but today while on the bus to here the flight I was planning on taking sold out. So with my extra day, I'm going diving. So tomorrow I'll be diving in komodo national park, Wednesday I'll be going to see dragons (!), and then Thursday I'll be flying back to Bali. This does muck with my plans a bit, but nothing I can't adjust and fix, in fact...It might make it easy for me to finish my Indonesian time on the gili islands...Which would be nice.

One other fun note about travel here...ATMs. Many of them dispense in 100k rupiah notes with a maximum withdrawal of 2 million rupiah (about $180). There are more than a few machines though that dispense in 50k notes. Those machines have a maximum withdrawal of 500k rupiah. $45. 


Pictures below of the spider web shaped rice fields and the harbor in Labuan Bajo.

No comments: