Saturday, September 28, 2013

Another sunrise volcano hike

Another day, another sunrise volcano hike. I think that is my 3rd one of those in the last week and my 6th sunrise hike of the trip. It's like I'm not letting my body adjust to the timezone it is in.

Today was a 4:15 start to get up to the colored lakes of Kelimutu. Three crater lakes that are each different colors sure to the chemicals the craters leach into them. Bonus color fact...the colors change over time site to chemical changes in the craters and the weather. 50 years ago they were red, white, and blue. Currently they are green, light blue, and almost black. One of them actually changed color earlier this year and they closed access to the park as they feared an imminent eruption.

The hike up was pretty short after a ride on the back of a motorcycle to the trailhead. And there were far fewer tourists here than in Java or Bali.

After the sun came up, some macaques showed up and accepted any cookies and crackers people would give them. I think they have been getting cookies for a while because they were not at all scared of people.

I chose to walk the 4 miles back to town and it was a nice walk through a forest and a small village. The birds in the area had an amazing call. It was both beautiful and fake sounding. It had a digital sound to it. Very odd.

My hotel had breakfast waiting for me when I got back. Banana pancakes with palm sugar syrup. Very delicious.

After that I caught another clown car bus (that thankfully was not very crowded) to Bajawa. Staying the night here and tomorrow I'll go tour a few native villages that have maintained their historical way of life before trying to get a bus to my next stop, Ruteng.

Pictures below of the lakes of Kelimutu.

No comments: