Sunday, September 22, 2013

How do people live so close to the equator?!

Holy good god is it warm. It was probably 85 degrees by 9 am today.

Yogyakarta is a nice city with a few things to see and I saw most all of them today. I wandered down the main drag toward the old palace. Making many friends along the way. Everyone here sure likes to respond to my saying I'm from America with "OBAMA!" I can just imagine how that would make a birther's skin crawl.

The old palace was pretty awesome to see. The sultans of the area used to live there. Also today there was a Java style dancing demonstration going on. It was really cool to see.

After the palace I went to the sultans' old water park. It was Ok. A little too fixed up and modernized. Felt a little fake.

Now I'm just taking a moment to plan out the next week or so before going to make some bookings.

Tonight I'll either go to a puppet show or a ballet epic. Not sure which yet.

Accommodation was a bit of a nightmare last night. The town is a little full due to a festival and I got chased out of the first place I found when I discovered bed bugs on a second, more thorough, investigation of the mattress. The next few places I liked at were a little below my expectations for cleanliness...So I splurged on a nicer place. Note that splurged means $35 (as opposed to $9 for some of the not so nice place).

Tomorrow's plan is to visit some temples in the area.

pictures of an an idol outside the palace and the dancing demonstration.

No comments: