Thursday, August 22, 2013

Arrived! And yet still more travel tomorrow...

The marathon of travel to get to Kathmandu is over! Now all that awaits is a 6 hour bus ride to the start of the trek which may or may not happen tomorrow. There was an event today which closed the tourist office I needed to visit to buy the tickets and register for the Annapurna circuit. So instead I spent the afternoon wandering around a very busy and very smoggy/dusty city. Just trying to get the lay of the land and stretch out my legs.

Between many hours on planes and the dust/smog her in the city...I'm ready to get out and into some clean crisp mountain air...And even some clean humid lowlands air too.

I did manage to arrange to have my hiking permits taken care of and I got a bus for the morning.

Few random notes from today...

-I thought driving in Ethiopia/Kenya was bad...But this is on another level.
-being a pedestrian here is an order of magnitude worse than Cairo was too...traffic is just bonkers and follows no rules. I felt like I was playing real life frogger today
-all guesthouses here are partnered with travel agencies who organize guides for treks. The guy at the place in staying tried every single angle he could to sell me on the idea of a guide...It was kinda like weathering a timeshare presentation.
-pictures seem to be gumming up the publishing of posts right now...So no pics this time

No comments: