Friday, October 11, 2013

So delicious.

Started today with a trip to a sports bar to watch the Bears game. I was the only one there for the football game, and there was one guy there who wanted to watch baseball. Weirdo.

After the game finished I walked over to and through the high end shopping district. Now, I know there is a lot of money in Singapore but do they really need 4 different Prada stores? 5 Louis  Vuitton stores? 3 Balenciaga stores? All within 4 blocks of each other? This neighborhood was nuts. The malls were out of control huge. They did provide me with a nice spot to hide from the rain.

Later in the afternoon I wandered over to little India for a late lunch and to see the area. Lots of little shops and restaurants. Many tailors just waiting to make shirts, pants, or full suits. Little India has a lot of buildings that date back to colonial times, so it is a fun neighborhood to see from that aspect.

Then this evening I went back to the river area for my final travel dinner. Black pepper crab. Crab that has been cooked in black pepper sauce, then cracked and doused with more black pepper sauce. It was delicious. Maybe more than delicious. It was so damn tasty. Probably the one meal I've ever seen that my dad probably wouldn't need to add more pepper to.

On my walk back to hotel, I heard a band playing and wandered over to find Singapore Oktoberfest?!? First of all, I think they are a couple weeks late. Second of all, huh? Third of all, Asians in drindls and lederhosen...that's a mental image for you. It was all a little out of place...

...which is just perfect for Singapore. This country is a complete melting pot of so many cultures and peoples. The one true Singaporean identity is difference. The place also feels a bit like a theme park. The food courts, the shopping, the constructed monuments to stuff. It is on its way to being an arcology.

Time to try to get a little sleep before I get up at 4 to head to the airport for the long journey home.

Pics below of black pepper crab and Oktoberfest.

No comments: