Sunday, October 06, 2013

Who put this ship on the ocean floor?

Pretty rad day of diving today.

First dive was on the Amed wall reef and I saw multiple scorpion and lion fish as well as a very large barracuda.

Second dive was the USAT Liberty shipwreck. The most dived site in all of Asia. A US ship that was transporting rubber to some troops when the Japanese hit it with torpedoes and it eventually was towed ashore. 50 years ago a volcanic eruption vibrated the earth enough that it slipped off the beach and into the water. Now it is covered in coral and a ton of fish live in and around it.

I got to swim in and around the wreck while spotting a giant moray eel, since trumpet fish, and a couple bumphead parrotfish! As we were doing our safety stop at 5 meters we found a hole in the ground and dropped a rock into it. 15 seconds later the rock is tossed out of the whole and a mantis shrimp is glaring at us very angrily. Eventually it goes back down and we dropped the rock in again. More rock tossing, more glaring.

Going to just relax on the beach a bit this afternoon (which means go for a run for me) and then tomorrow it is of to the gili islands.

Oh, last night for dinner I had bbq Mahi Mahi. The fish was caught about 3 hours before I sat down to eat it. So damn good.

No comments: