Once again utilizing a business trip to Europe to score myself a quick bit of fun travel. This time I will be spending the next day and a half exploring Copenhagen.
It's actually my second time setting foot on Danish soil, but my first real visit to the country.
I had a fun memory pop back into my head during my flight from Frankfurt today from my last trip through Copenhagen's airport.
On the way back from my visit to Norway a few years ago, I flew through CPH. After 2 weeks of non-stop hiking, I was pretty tired and was going to do my best to sleep much of the flight to IAD away (mainly because I knew I would still have the painfully long IAD-SEA leg next). In preparation for the flight and to help myself get some sleep, I came prepared with some Vicodin and a plan to get a beer or two while waiting to board.
I timed it perfectly! Taking the Vicodin and have a pair of beers about 40 minutes before sitting in my seat. When I curled up against the window, I could tell that I would be gone to the world very soon.
Then someone sat down next to me.
He said hello. I returned the greeting, and then he started to make small talk.
VERY QUICKLY he divulges that he just spent the last 3 weeks traveling around Sweden spreading his father's ashes on his favorite places and locations important to his family and was now going home to Minnesota.
Then he starts telling stories.
My inner monologue was (very slowly and not soberly) thinking "aw, crap. I can't just turn away and go to sleep...this poor guy is just destroyed right now and really needs someone to talk to."
I did my best to stay in the conversation. I have no idea if I did or not. I just know that I didn't sleep a single bit on that flight and it was one of the more memorable flights I've ever had that I don't really remember much of anything about.
Time to get to sleep now and spend tomorrow exploring Copenhagen!
No comments:
Post a Comment