15 days, ~150 miles, 36k feet in elevation gain, 36k feet in elevation lost, 394,306 steps...And it all ended today.
Woke up at 4:45 this morning for a pre sunrise hike to a viewpoint of the Annapurna range. The hike was supposed to take about 45 minutes, but without a heavy pack on... It only took 25. Then waited in the fog and clouds for a brief glimpse of Annapurna south and the tiniest but if Annapurna 1 (which is over 8k meters high).
After the view tease, I got to experience what it is like to be trapped in a monsoon. Holy crap did it rain for 2 hours. I sprinted down the hill to breakfast and then had to wait out the downpour while my clothes dried before the final 5 hour walk down to the end of the trek.
On that final stretch there was a section of 3000 stone steps in a row. They just never stopped!
Finally getting to the bottom and checking out of the park... It was over. Mission complete! An hour long taxi ride (for $14) to Pokhara and that was that.
Now I'm already working on the next phase of the trip. I am booked on a bus back to Kathmandu on Monday, a sightseeing flight around Everest on Tuesday, and planning the recently added Malaysia journey (diving off of sipadan island as a key stop).
Two regrets from the trek...
1. I did not get a picture of the aids awareness sign that said blood transfusions are just as likely to lead to aids and death as unprotected sex and IV drug use.
2. I did not get video of any of the groups of kids who ran up to me screaming "NAMASTE!" with giant smiles on their faces. Then asked for chocolate with giant smiles on their faces. And reacted by mocking me or getting apoplectic when I told them I had no chocolate. The encounters went from adorable to hilarious or disturbing quickly.
Tomorrow is massage day and travel logistics day.
Pictures below of Annapurna south barely sneaking through from the Poon Hill viewpoint.
No comments:
Post a Comment